Are the following engines outdated? Blitz3D, BlitzMax, MonkeyX

Tweet
(Posted 2 weeks ago) somenotliban

Hey guys, me again, wanted to ask, Is Blitz3D Outdated or not? I'm reading this thread and honestly, its making me sad. Can Blitz3D still be useful even if it was made in 2001 and especially if it cant even keep up with engines like UE5 and Unity? Thanks in advance.

(Posted 2 weeks ago) somenotliban commented:
(Posted 2 weeks ago) Grindalf commented:

Blitz3D and BlitzMAX are still amazingly powerful tools but really it comes down to what YOU want to make.
I am currently making a 3D action dungeon crawler in B3D and it is amazing how easilly Blitz3D still handles everything I keep throwing at it.
(a little unfinished trailer I was messing around with

)
I also made my tools Pixel Character Maker and Dungeon View Maker this year using B3D and they are still earning me a little cash here and there.

It depends on what you want to make, It would be near impossible to make a Skyrim clone or Cyberpunk 2077 using B3D but lets face it that high quality of graphics and gameplay would be near impossible by a small team or solo dev no matter what engine you use.
B3D is great for simple graphic 3D games and Bmax is great for 2D games
You say they cant keep up with UE5 or Unity but the truth is could YOU push either of those engines to their limits? I know I will never be able to do that and for now I can quite easily keep within the limits of B3D.

As long as they keep working on windows they will keep being my goto tools :)

(Posted 2 weeks ago) RonTek commented:

yes, really depends on what you would like to do and they are both extensible by userlib and mods.

future proofing is another discussion and as you already know.

(Posted 2 weeks ago) RemiD commented:

lets face it that high quality of graphics and gameplay would be near impossible by a small team or solo dev no matter what engine you use.

exactly ! my suggestion : stop dreaming about making very complex games with realistic graphics, and keep trying to make games with inovating gameplay and original graphics style...

B3D is great for simple graphic 3D games and Bmax is great for 2D games

easy to learn / use = fast results
@grindalf : cool gameplay, nice graphics :-)

(Posted 2 weeks ago) Pebender commented:

i love BMax and BMax NG, but you must know, what you need for, much Libs doesn´t work under BMax NG, only under BMax, there must be a team,
they will convert the Libs to NG, this would be nice, i`m not so a good programmer, because less time.
My Style is learning by doing and Step by Step..

regards..

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)