Modernizing Blitz3D in a Nutshell

Tweet blitz3d rated
(Posted 3 weeks ago) RonTek

So the other day I got the chance to sit this one down for a few hours, examined and dug deep into Blitz3D source code.

Finally, I am getting the overall engine design structure and have some ideas on what needs to be done, what could work without breaking all important or critical features that is true to Blitz3D.

The amount of work involve is next to impossible (but not that impossible) without that much knowledge on older stuff and perhaps the biggest challenge is really porting the engine and toolset to other platforms like mobile or web.

On the brighter side, there are also previous codebase changes or contributions from here and there which makes most of the other component updates cut short.

All this considering not changing how the engine works like left hand coordinate system, terrain engine, 2D functions and other b3d only or specific stuff.

This means Blitz3D or BB code should work 100% except for userlibs compatibility (like FastExt) with the proposed updates or new changes.

I am thinking now of providing it as freeware or a free version instead of fully opensourcing it for so many reasons based on time, focus and effort, along with recent observations with the opensource model relating to the initial projected niche or userbase following.

The portability to other platforms is still a very long road to go so this might have contributed and perhaps one of the deciding factors and reason.

Again, these are all just in earlier planning stages so everything is still subjected for future changes eventually based on feedback, progress and success.

Cheers.

(Posted 3 weeks ago) Grindalf commented:

For me the main thing that I care about is future proofing. Blitz's reliance on DX7 and being 32bit scares me for the future. There will be a day when it no longer works on the latest version of windows and that will be a sad day.
I imagine that will be addressed in your updated build?
As for not being open source that does not bother me personally as I would have no hope of continuing the code anyway, very beyond me :P
exporting to other platforms in my eyes is not required as windows(as far as I'm concerned) is the best os to sell games for. That being said if the feature was availible to export to Android and Linux I would certainly make use of it :P
Personally I hardly use any Userlibs so that does not effect me.

I am excited for this and I know its probably a very long way off but I look forward to any news on it :D

(Posted 3 weeks ago) RonTek commented:

Yes, moving away from the outdated DirectX 7 is first on the list. 64bit Blitz3D will also be in the roadmap though it seems 32bit apps is still heavily supported and in circulation like Visual Studio.

I am excited for this and I know its probably a very long way off but I look forward to any news on it :D

Great, gearing towards slow and steady updates and now working on and preparing to release a preview build soon!

cheers.

(Posted 2 weeks ago) RemiD commented:

@Rontek : good luck with this endeavor.

Blitz's reliance on DX7 and being 32bit scares me for the future. There will be a day when it no longer works on the latest version of windows and that will be a sad day.

sure, but keep in mind that when i started to code with Blitz3d in summer 2009, there were already many users talking about this fear on the blitzbasic forum.
some users predicted the end of Windows several times...
as Puki once said : Blitz3d is like a little puppy which is not the strongest but never gives up ( or something like that )

(Posted 2 weeks ago) RonTek commented:

cheers RemiD and I agree. As long as the latest DirectX is backwards compatible and supports DX7, Blitz3D should be fine.

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)