Dungeon View Maker

Tweet
(Posted 3 months ago) Grindalf

I've just released my second tool.
This one generates the images used for oldschool pseudo 3D Dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder.

https://grindalf.itch.io/dungeon-view-maker

(Posted 3 months ago) markcwm commented:

Hi Grindalf, that looks really good! Not that I need it but well done anyways. I wonder if you have any plans for a Mac version?

(Posted 3 months ago) Grindalf commented:

Hi mark.
Afraid not on the mac release as this is B3D so windows only :/

(Posted 2 months ago) Grindalf commented:

I have a new update available that adds more camera options and saves the user settings
Take a look at
https://grindalf.itch.io/dungeon-view-maker

(Posted 2 months ago) RonTek commented:

Nice update and I see it has skybox as well. very cool

(Posted 2 months ago) RemiD commented:

i don't know how you have so much patience (and time) to make position each floor, wall, ceiling, furniture, manually
if i would want to make a "dungeon", i would make premade parts (floors, walls, ceilings, columns, furnitures), and assemble them proceduraly with code. one click... wait.... done.

I have the feeling you don't know how this works RemiD
I don't position each piece manually.
The images are layered from reading a grid and all works quite easy and nicely with little effort. This is the way the oldschool games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the beholder did these things(although they used an image atlas where as I use individual images)
And once you have generated your image sets they are premade parts(floors, walls, ceilings, columns, furnitures) each tile is loaded as needed according to the dungeon view.

EDIT: In reality it would be easier to create one of these games in real 3D instead of this pseudo3D(I believe the correct term for this style of pseudo3D is Flip3D) but then again people who make games like this are nostalgic for the past and there is something magical about the layered image approach, also this system is pretty fast and can be done using pretty much any software thats capable of producing 2D images(the first time I ever did this was in an rpgmaker style program called the RPGToolkit which was pretty slow)

i have watched the video and this is what i have seen : you select the premade part and texture and position / rotate it manually. nothing against this approach, i just say that it takes a lot of time to make a map this way...
in 2019 i have made 2 prototypes, one was to generate 3d caves from a 2d image, one was to generate a 3d maze from a 2d image.
the floors, walls, ceilings, columns, furnitures, containers, were premade. and there was a procedure to analyze each pixel of an image (100x100) and depending on the neighbour pixels, identify if there is a need to add a floor, wall, ceiling, column, furniture, container... all done automatically...
much quicker.

just sharing thoughts.

(btw i like the graphics style)

Actually you select a premade shape and texture and press export and it creates 25 images for that shape at all its positions. Thats all you need to do.
The other tools to select position ect are just to check that your texture, shape ect look right at certain angles ect.
the game engine code(a bmax sample is included with the tool) then takes those 25 images and layers them according to the grid. You can have a full procedurally generated dungeon in a as few as 4 clicks(not including running the application)
Because this oldschool approach uses loads of images that need to be layered over each other pixel perfectly drawing them by hand can be hard and time consuming. Thats why I made this tool as you just load on the texture and it exports all the images for that wall piece in all the positions it can be with a single click.
You mention 2 prototypes you made but were they real 3D engines or were they fake pseudo3D like this?

double post

(this forum is really buggy)

You can have a full procedurally generated dungeon in a as few as 4 clicks
i have not noticed this. sorry.
You mention 2 prototypes you made but were they real 3D engines or were they fake pseudo3D like this
real 3d but similar render in the end.

See this is to generate a pseudo 3D dungeon, for nostalgic reasons more than anything else.
The dungeon is created by 24 wall tiles and a background image(thats what this tool is made to create with only a few clicks)

you could create your dungeon code in many different ways I use an array. grid(32,32)
every 1 is a wall and every 0 is nothing
then I have the players position px and pz and the players facing direction dir
then by using px, pz and dir we know where the player is in the grid and what direction they are facing and all we simply do is scan from the players position.
first we draw the background image this is the ground and ceiling. then we draw wall pieces scanning from out in and left to center, right to center(so they overlap correctly). and they are automatically loaded and drawn onto screen according to their position.
Its a bit wasteful to load and draw 24 large images each loop but computers and languages have come along way from the old amiga/dos days and its still incredible fast to draw the screen that way.

Maybe if RonTek is ok with it I can post an example code with all the images needed to create the view(25 images) and a little random dungeon generation(I don't normally post my code as it can be a little messy but I can see about making it as human readable as possible)

double post
(this forum is really buggy)

No worries RemiD. Apparently due to shared hosting limitations, this may happen from time to time, but based from my experience within this past year so far I have not encountered this issue.

I can post an example code with all the images needed to create the view(25 images) and a little random dungeon generation(I don't normally post my code as it can be a little messy but I can see about making it as human readable as possible)

Sure thing, feel free and post away!

• first we draw the background image this is the ground and ceiling. then we draw wall pieces scanning from out in and left to center, right to center(so they overlap correctly). and they are automatically loaded and drawn onto screen according to their position.
    ok i see. so the images already have the shapes to have the 3d perspective ?
    @Rontek>>no idea on how to quote so i use italic...
    but this time it doesn ot work... i give up

@Rontek>>no idea on how to quote so i use italic...
but this time it doesn ot work... i give up

It's pretty simple actually using the editor button. Select the text using your mouse or keys you want to quote and just click on the quote button (4th from left). The quoted text/paragraph will have a greater sign ">" added before the first letter. Make sure the greater sign symbol is the first character on your paragraph text which the editor button will automatically do when you click it.

You can also click the side by side feature (book icon, 3rd from right) to check your formatting. Note that this will make the editor fullscreen, just click the fullscreen icon to go back again to normal editor size.

..and to italicize your text, just select the text and click on the I icon next to Bold or put two asterisk sign between text.

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)