Pixel Character Maker

Tweet blitz3d 2d-map-editors 2d-paint-programs 2d-animation-tools toolbox rated
(Posted 5 months ago) Grindalf

Pixel Character Maker is a tool for creating character sprite sheets to be used primarily in RPG style games but could be useful in many other game genres as well. Pixel Character Maker creates character walk animations in 4 directions by overlaying many different layers to create a complete character.

https://grindalf.itch.io/pixel-character-maker

So I was making an RPG using a different tool(RPGWizard) and thought to myself I need a Sprite sheet creator and after having a look around I didn't find anything that met my needs so I decided to make my own.
Its made using Blitz3D and all sprites are made by me and my girlfriend.
here is an early video of it working

And a couple of screen shots showing a little of its versatility.
I know super man does not wear gloves but I really felt like he did :P
A lot of these sheets were made by modifying other sheets, for instance the symbol on his chest is a whit t-shirt colored yellow and cut down and then another colored red and cut down. and his blue suit is just another body colored blue with the head cut off.

I know I didn't bother finishing Harleys hair because of laziness.
The tool has frame editing features like Move frame, Stretch frame, Copy/Paste, and selection delete
It also features a color swap program where you can take the colors already in a sheet and switch them for other colors.
I'm almost finished with it and hope to have it released before the end of lockdown

(Posted 5 months ago) RonTek commented:

This looks awesome Grindalf! I like the crosshair pixel part, seems to be a pretty handy feature.

(Posted 5 months ago) Grindalf commented:

I mostly made the double line cross hairs for the stretching/squashing feature the line of pixels in the center of the lines is what will be duplicated either side of the lines or deleted when you do a horizontal or vertical stretch/squash.
It just looked like fun to make to be honest. Now is the less fun part, hundreds of sprite sheets to go with it :P

(Posted 4 months ago) RonTek commented:

Nice. btw, just a bit curious on what 2D/sprite software are you (still) using before you made your custom tools like this one?

(Posted 4 months ago) Grindalf commented:

Microsoft Paint :P
I've also written a .png exporter for it now in BlitzMax. The b3d program saves the image as a temp.bmp calls the blitzmax program that loads, changes the mask to alpha(if needed) and exports to the selected pathfile as .png

Im sure there is a way to make a blitzmax program run windowless but I cant remember how I did that, at the moment the BMax window pops up for a second while exporting as ping

Microsoft Paint :P

then you should check out paint.net https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=263

Im sure there is a way to make a blitzmax program run windowless but I cant remember how I did that, at the moment the BMax window pops up for a second while exporting as ping

You can find a blitzmax borderless window code somewhere here in the archives.. I remembering posting about this last time.

I figured out the windowless BMAX app thanks.
I occasionally use Paint.net(Normally when I need to add Alpha to a sheet) but I find for the simple quick pixel work that I tend to do paint is so super simple to use that its hard to beat.
I also occasionally use gimp but normally only if I'm adding gradients or some other effect like that.

Sure thing. glad you figured that out.

I occasionally use Paint.net(Normally when I need to add Alpha to a sheet) but I find for the simple quick pixel work that I tend to do paint is so super simple to use that its hard to beat.

Awesome! I also use it for quick editing. Krita also is a nice tool but a bit complex, perhaps it's worth checking out again.

Somebody showed me Krita once and it looked amazing, I completely forgot all about it(Thats me getting old I guess) I should go download and check that out, Thanks :)

Well I have eventually finished Character Studio
https://grindalf.itch.io/character-studio
I also have a video showing me making a character with it

Sorry to all the people that actually watch it and have to listen to my voice :P
After 15 years of gamedev trying to make something good enough to sell, this is the first commercial item I have actually finished...... and its not a game.
I don't expect much from it to be honest(Its more of an RPGMaker type thing and they already have great asset bundles) but in reality I made it for myself and then thought, Hmmm other people might like this so I added a little polish. so even if I never sell a copy its still doing exactly what I made it to do ;)

Really nice work! I also like what you did with your itch.io page background btw, that looks awesome showcasing this tool.

Also, you can add a small 80x32 icon as the first image and then add another tag toolbox and a specific category so it will show up in the toolbox section.

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)