Bsp using Vis

Tweet
(Posted 4 months ago) Sam

So its been years (many years) Are the Bsp's with Calculated Visability Legal to to use now?
(Vis.exe from idtech 3 wasnt open source back a 100 years ago) lol

I'm gonna hunt down a .bsp to mess around with, Does anyone know if Mesh() and Surface() commands work on them?

Sam

(Posted 4 months ago) Sam commented:

The answer is no to treating it as a mesh. lol A quick look in the help would have told me. would have been nice to try and recreate quake3's Surface shader system . ( I do this with other models in blitz3d by looping through the surfaces at load and remapping based on texture and entity names)

(Posted 4 months ago) RonTek commented:

Yes a lot of 3D stuff and legalities has happened since then. btw, have you also checked out Krischan's BSP Loader?

https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=631

would have been nice to try and recreate quake3's Surface shader system . ( I do this with other models in blitz3d by looping through the surfaces at load and remapping based on texture and entity names)

awesome, would like to see some demo of that. I think Irrlicht supports that as well and we got Blitz wrappers for that courtesy of Aqualung https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=44

(Posted 3 months ago) Sam commented:

I had forgotten about that BSP loader. I just played around with it a bit.
Added a Embm layer.
I generate the normals from the diffuse texture...because you know I'm far to lazy to actually set up a scene ;)
So they arent very correct and sometimes look like emboss. but its plug and play.
I'm using a projected light texture for the bump update so like a single light from camera, works ok with lightmaps.
I can use the Lightmaps themselves for static bumpmaps , But it has the tendency to make light leaks even more visible and can mess up on edges.

On and Off

Sam

(Posted 3 months ago) RonTek commented:

Looks great Sam!

I generate the normals from the diffuse texture...because you know I'm far to lazy to actually set up a scene ;)

I do this too when trying out normal map experiments that does not have textures. which reminds me...

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)