BlitzMax DX will now be FREE!

Tweet blitzmax blitzmax-ng freeware blitzmax-dx
(Posted 2 months ago) RonTek

Just a heads up as BlitzMax DX will now be FREE to active members as soon as it is available for release.

This will coincide and will be part of the upcoming basic gamification system on the site which I will be rolling out the mechanics and details in the coming weeks.

There is also a BlitzMax DX Pro option, more info soon after DX beta release.

More Info on BlitzMax Deluxe or DX. Planned features to be updated and will depend on traction or demand.

https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=307

Cheers

(Posted 2 months ago) hardcoal commented:

what is blitzmax dx... lol im so confused.. with all the versions of stuff..
anyway its free so im happy

(Posted 2 months ago) RonTek commented:

BlitzMax Deluxe or DX is an older but stable version of NG, particularly with Android mobile target and also with 64bit Windows.

This was planned for release almost a year ago, but due to scheduling and other priorities apparently this was put on hold.

(Posted 2 months ago) markcwm commented:

Hmm, okay that's good news but to be really honest here, I don't think you should charge for any products Mark Sibly originally created, the main reason is it already exists for free and most people will use that but also it does make you look like you're exploiting people. I think if the code is mostly your work and it's something new then it's fine to charge for it. I think it would be good to put your Blitzmax DX on itch.io as a "pay what you want" as that's where all the Blitz products are now. Maybe you could charge for your Blitzmax modules. Also I just realized that BlitzX should really be called Blitz3dX. Hope you don't mind me giving my opinion on your stuff.

(Posted 2 months ago) RonTek commented:

Hey Mark, great no problem at all and to answer your questions:

the main reason is it already exists for free and most people will use that but also it does make you look like you're exploiting people.

free and opensource and DX is an old modified fork of NG.

All Blitz products are now open source work and yes, you can always get any Blitz product for free and open source on BRL's repository and Itch.io.

Originally and going back, the standard or free version of DX where there has been some years work done with the tested fixes, compatibility, freezed version and maintenance was the idea for the patreon support.

Given that all these tools are now opensource, the idea of exploitation is really out of the question to begin with and really have no intention to do so from the start.

Linux is to RedHat or Android project, Ogre3D is to NeoAxis, Apples to Oranges.. you get the idea.

Adding to that, the fact that it is still named under BlitzMax is a hint that it will not be paid for the product or project itself, rather than the support or extended modules, regardless of BlitzMax or NG being opensourced.

Maybe you could charge for your Blitzmax modules.

Actually, that would be the idea to have more content as I have stated before for the Pro version and.. now time or availability will eventually depend if the free version will take off and gain some traction.

Also I just realized that BlitzX should really be called Blitz3dX.

I just thought BlitzX is much simpler and easier to remember and the name Blitz3D is under BRL. There will also be more focus on both 2D and 3D than before so having the name as just 3D will also not do any justice. still also a nice name though

think it would be good to put your Blitzmax DX on itch.io as a "pay what you want" as that's where all the Blitz products are now.

Had some issues with itch.io system and so I think Patreon is much better so far. The overall idea that this project will be more planned under funding rather than paid or licensed is why I choose patreon over itch.

We do have the BlitzGames page there that I pick and extend some showcase here and I don't plan to add any pay you want there either way.

In the long run, I am not really that eager to charge for anything on these projects if support is really there as I would really love to focus my time on doing everything here and I enjoy it a lot, instead of doing our everyday job and planning on other stuff. Apparently, we all have our daily or monthly obligations that we can't trade for free and given the current situation where I am at, that part really sucks.

There are many flavors and versions of Blitz tools ever since it got opensourced way back, the free official and other opensource links are available here for download anytime so in the end it's always anybody's choice.

I hope these all makes sense and thanks again for your continuous support ever since we got started and now going on year 3. cheers.

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)