Where to start?  

Tweet
(Posted 5 months ago) PayDark

Hello, I am new here and for a few months I have been interested in developing games in blitzmax but the problem is that I don't know where to start and I see that there are very few tutorials on the internet, I don't know anything about programming, and well I would not like that They will recommend me tutorials, guides, pages ... To start developing applications in blitzmax.

(Posted 5 months ago) RonTek commented:

Hey Welcome to the forums PayDark!

If you want to learn about the basics of blitzmax then you should check out some guides so you have a background on how things work + syntax.

Here are a couple of starter guides that can help:

https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=274

https://www.blitzcoder.org/forum/topic.php?id=413

Most coders also learn from examples so check out the BlitzMax demos in the samples folder.

You can also start conceptualizing a small project or game that you can use as a starting point to learn Blitzmax, it's another way learning the language and tool!

and as always feel free to ask here in the forums for help. cheers.

(Posted 5 months ago) PayDark commented:

Hi RonTek, thanks for the welcome, for a while I have seen your shading demonstrations and I think you have been very impressive, I just wanted to ask you something, where did you learn to write shaders?

(Posted 5 months ago) RonTek commented:

cheers PayDark and thanks! My shader coding and knowledge is not that great yet and I still have a lot to learn and explore.

As most of the common shaders have the same methods and technique, I did learn a lot by example as well.

Having also to port shaders from tutorials or engines also helps you to get some better understanding on how they work and gives you more experience. OpenGL and especially GLES are my focus since it can be used on different platforms.

If you are also interested in learning shaders, the best way to start is with the basic stuff like grayscale, sepia and go from there. Once you got the concept, it's the first big step!

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)