BlitzMax DX (Deluxe Edition)

(Posted 4 months ago) RonTek

Hey guys,

As previously hinted and announced, I will be rolling out soon BlitzCoder.org very own and fork of BlitzMax NG and will be aptly named BlitzMax DX or BlitzMax Deluxe Edition. This will be an older but much stable build (in terms of mobile target support) of BMX-NG and will have extended features and other downloadable type content.

-:-

Project Information and Details

Availability and Patreon Support

This will be available only to patrons, with ✱previous/existing patrons also getting the first preview or beta version release. A new $10 Tier dedicated to BlitzMax DX will be added with a one-time charge option. This means you can donate only if there is a newest update/release and decide if it will be worth it or not and cancel or just continue to give monthly support for further development of the project.

Community Section and Support

A new section and subforum will be set up for the upcoming Deluxe Edition support and discussion.

Project Versioning and Model

BlitzMax DX will follow the official BlitzMax model, which offers only binary downloads on every release. This also applies to other selected modules that will be included in package releases. There will be opensource plans eventually depending on goals or future reception.

Keeping up with the Latest

Updating to the latest NG build is currently not an option, but will still depend on the demand and compatibility. In a nutshell, if the cutting edge version still breaks particularly on mobile target(s), we will keep what works.

How to express further support

I will be setting up goals in Patreon for any planned feature release. Most of the features will not be that cutting edge, but should be more than enough for existing or new coders, hobbyists or blitzers to gain some interest or attention.

Project Roadmap

Beta Release (July - August 2019)

Planned Release (To Be Announced)

• MacOS ✱✱Platform Support
  • iOS ✱✱Target Support
  • Revamped or Editor Updates
  • Default or Packaged 3D Module (Not cross platform.. yet)
  • More 3rd Party Integration (Google Play, Admob, In-App Purchase, etc)

Prior to this Announcement

✱✱ Platform denotes the actual build tool or tool set, Target denotes user application/binaries aka cross platform availability

-:-

I will be updating this post from time to time for any last minute changes with new developments or ideas. Feel free to post any feedback, suggestions or comments.

Cheers.

(Posted 4 months ago) markcwm commented:

Sounds good Ron, I don't like the name though, it should at least have NG in there to avoid confusion but also I think Deluxe doesn't suit the purpose very well. Something like Retro or Mobile would be better.

(Posted 4 months ago) RonTek commented:

Thanks Mark. I see. About the name, that is the actual reason not to confuse it with NG and go with another direction and particularly with the name. Leaving NG out of the name is a good idea because it will not have the NextGen features of NG anymore and will be on a different path, hopefully the main concept is still around vanilla BlitzMax or perhaps in between.

I know it will be a given from the start is to focus on mobile stuff, but eventually and hopefully more and more will be added down the line. It's supposed to be just DX only (cool initials just a thought.. and not to confuse with Direct X btw) but I had to give it a meaning for it to make sense.. hence DeluXe ..and I think the goals for the project will be in line with the name which is to make it grand, elegant and special again.. at least on some levels.

Cheers.

I have to note that this is all in planning and this post is a preparation for it. If all goes well, move forward with it, if not then it's worth a try to get more coders interested with BlitzMax again.

I also decided to keep the NG subforum for good (until there will be a NG dedicated forum on blitzmax.org), as again this was included in the official blitz forum, which I honor and it was the reason adding it in the first place.

Actually, I'm thinking this is going to be a daunting task, it will require you to understand bcc and bmk well, and there's no point if you don't have enough interest and support, and Blitzmax is already a very niche language so you'd be splitting an already small community. I think you should just address the issues you have with the current NG and get those fixed, Brucey is quite open to anyone willing to lend a hand, as the saying goes we're stronger together.

I already stated on that older post before that I will not be touching bmk and bcc which is the daunting task part. I see that there are issues, but honestly that is out of my interest and really don't have enough time to go over them. Most of the planned features and the main objective has nothing to do with the language/parser and compiler end and more into extending and adding more integration/module and content.

What I would like to see though getting the light of day and finally having it fixed is the emscripten/HTML5 target part with the garbage collector thing and I am thinking of outsourcing this instead eventually as part of the Roadmap later on if all goes well.

One of the main goals is actually getting new comers interested in Blitz in general rather than splitting a community. I agree and it is a given that Blitz is a very niche language, but I do think that there's still hope. Think SCP Containment Breach (made with Blitz) that has a very huge fan following and player base, but on a smaller scale.

Well maybe you're right, I can't see how you could do it without working on the compiler, I would just use the latest and update when another stable release is out.

Probably minor changes will make it on the updates if they are really needed.

Yes I agree and that's the plan that I have highlighted above, updating will be an option if they are stable enough to not break building for mobile target(s).

Got started early to finalize the preview release and along with that I already did some digging in and rechecking with the Windows 64 bit and Android Target.

Things are looking up with Andorid 64-bit support so no worries submitting to Google Play Store as well.

Reply To Topic