360 Videos In a Nutshell

(Posted 6 months ago) RonTek

Just got into more 360 videos recently and quickly noticed the concept is too simple. It's just a video in spherical panoramic format (of course captured by a 360 camera/device) like those sky spheres that we see and implement in 3D games.. and that's about it.

You can probably recreate a 360 player using shaders or just render the 360 video into a texture to a sphere inside. add some camera controls and done

(Posted 6 months ago)

Hi Ron,

well true you could fake this but I believe the idea is to use an omnicamera, record a video, and upload to Youtube. Angros says he written code to do this but it's in the new library Openb3d Plus which has not been released yet.

Here's a video of it working.

(Posted 6 months ago)

Thanks for the additional info Mark. It's awesome that openb3d already supports this kind of stuff, kudos!

(Posted 6 months ago)

tried watching the video with my oculus go. pretty impressive. would be better if it was true stereoscopic 3d.

(Posted 6 months ago)

Well compared to other 360 videos I found it a bit unresponsive, like I had to press and hold a bit for any movement, but it works so it's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the release so I can try adding it to my project.

Reply To Topic