It won't start

(Posted 11 months ago) Daveybird

Hi, the version of Blitz3D from this site won't load at all when I open it. I tried I think an older version from BlitzResearch and that worked, but had some glitches. I installed 1108c, and then 1106 in that order. Does anyone know anything else I might need? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Posted 11 months ago)

Hey Daveybird. First off, Welcome to the forums!

Now moving to your question and installation problem, did you make sure that you have downloaded the complete zip file? It's around 24mb and perhaps try also unblocking it in case there are file security issues after your download.

To verify that the download package is fully working, I have downloaded and installed it earlier (C:/Blitz3D2 as indicated, along with my original installation in C:/Blitz3D) and took this screenshot. This is also with the 1106 compatibility version on top.

Blitz3D 1108c with 1106 Compatibility Full Package

Hope that helps.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Yes, it is about 23.8 mb. Maybe it's my system.

(Posted 11 months ago)

I see. Any particular errors you are getting or being displayed? It would also help if you can post a screenshot of the error or message dialog. cheers.

If you are on Windows 10 and since all original Blitz3D installers (including this community version) uses Direct Play, it also helps if you can install the legacy DirectPlay files just in case (see below).

Blitz3D - Direct Play Installation Windows 10

(Posted 11 months ago)

Thanks and I've already installed DirectPlay. Now, all Blitz3D games I've tried are giving me Memory Access Violations as soon as I start them. I set their compatibility to admin, Windows 7, Windows XP SP3, etc, and they're still giving me MAVs, even ones that are fresh installs and work on other computers.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Hmmm something is not right there or probably missing. Is this your first time installing any Blitz3D related files/games in your Windows 10 setup?

I did try installing Blitz3D and games on Windows 10 a year ago helping a friend w/o any issues (w/ the directplay install), but not sure if there has been some recent changes and updates that prevents them even more from running. Have you experienced the MAVs on B3D games before the DirectPlay install?

Can you run the Blitz3D editor? If you can, try and run a simple program or example (in debug mode) and see if you can catch the MAV error, it should show up in the debug window.

(Posted 11 months ago)

I can run the old version that I got from BlitzResearch but not the updated ones from here, as far as the editor. And I think it might be my computer, because the programs and editor worked on this computer previously and continue to work on my others. I'm in the process of downloading Sonic World, another Blitz game. I haven't tried it before. The ones I were trying were MDickie's Wrestling MPire and Reach, and I'm wondering if it's my computer refusing to run MDickie games or Blitz games.

(Posted 11 months ago)

The directplay install should actually solve compatibility issues that is why it is provided in the first place and Blitz3D or games made with it will try to find it (unless you have a custom build w/o it), but you should easily roll it back if there are programs that you are expecting to run before this legacy install.

(Posted 11 months ago)

When I first got this computer and installed DirectPlay, it worked, now it's giving me MAVs as soon as I start the game. Okay, so I just checked Sonic World, and sadly, it did the same thing, giving me a MAV upon start.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Ok got it. For more info and details, the 1108c included in the zip file is an older version (probably the same one) that I got a couple of years ago (timestamp is mid 2016). This was before the official BRL site meltdown so consider it as an old version as well.

You should probably try it with another Win10 machine if you can so you can really verify that it is your Win10 installation (or missing or corrupt related files) that is causing this isolated problem. cheers.

(Posted 11 months ago)

It works on my Windows 10 32 bit machine and Windows 7 64 bit machine, along with the games. Maybe it's a Windows update or something.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Ah ok great and yes, that is a possibility.

(Posted 11 months ago)

I'm about to install your exact version on my Windows 10 32 bit machine, and most likely permanently retire this one for Blitz, going back to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for my other two, and hopefully the one my mom's handing me down in the next month or so.

UPDATE: It works on my Windows 10 32 bit machine.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Good news. The Blitz games run in safe mode. So it must be some kind of process or something that's keeping it from running regularly. Anyone have any ideas of some processes, etc that could interfere with it?

(Posted 11 months ago)

Hey great to hear that Daveybird! I'm not sure about the safe mode thing, maybe it's related to the Win 10 fullscreen issue but I think this is already take care of with the 1108c version. Can you run some games/programs on default 800x600 resolution?

Just to note that the 1106 upgrade (or "downgrade" technically, for compatibility with older libraries like FastLibs and games using it) is an option. You can try installing only 1108c if that helps first for the default Blitz3D setup.

So in a nutshell, the 1106 update is for FastLibs and Windows 7 and below. Latest Blitz3D 1108c now works with Windows 8 and 10 as reported. Let me see if I can find and pull some old notes/resources for Windows 8/10 and the latest fixes which involves getting FastLibs to work w/o updating to 1106.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Guess what? I randomly decided to disable my graphics card driver, and it worked, obviously slow. So now I finally isolated the problem as my graphics card. I then downloaded an older driver, uninstalled the one I had, installed that one, and voila, Blitz games and the editor worked!! Stupid Intel UHD...

(Posted 11 months ago)

Hey, that's awesome and glad you figured it out. Yes, sometimes older stuff still has its purpose and in your situation and setup it fits perfectly

I think this would be a nice addition for a Blitz3D FAQ under Windows 10 and incompatible (or faulty) newer gfx intel drivers.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Actually, I had problems with one of the games, updated to the latest, and it works like a charm! Lesson Learned: Sometimes you need to download any other video card driver than the one that comes with your computer.

(Posted 11 months ago)

Good point. It really does depend and applies to your current use and situation, in this case you need to get Blitz3D to work.

I also had a related experience but with a offending library instead. I have used a 3d modeling tool that worked before and after a year and other installations it won't start anymore and crashes a lot. I couldn't figure it out at first and finally found out that it uses Qt5 as framework. I have both Qt 4.8 and 5 installed as development libraries then removed 4.8.. and there you go! cheers.

Reply To Topic