OpenB3D does not load models .x, .3ds, .b3d

👉 BlitzCoder will be building a new platform and other plans to preserve and continue the Blitz legacy.

To be able to achieve this goal, we need your support by becoming a Patreon Paid Member 👈

Tweet bug openb3d
LDMT

either the models are not loaded and give an error, or they are loaded but not displayed

markcwm commented:

Yes, DirectX X files are not really supported, there is a loader but it's based on this minib3d one and it only works on ASCII text files .X version 3.2, so it just crashes on binary files.

But there is a better X loader in the Openb3d Assimp wrapper and there are other formats too not added by default, just edit this file assimplib.mod uncommenting any lines under "ImporterRegistry.cpp" no animation support in the wrapper though. Then just build and add "Import Assimp.Assimp" to your example. You will also need the Bah.Boost source, it doesn't actually have to be built.

LDMT commented:

this is all great, but I want everything to work at once... when are you planning to fix the bugs? in blitz3d everything works without problems

markcwm commented:

You can't compare Openb3d to Blitz3d, Blitz3d was written by a well-known professional company BRL and is finished now, Openb3d is just 2 guys in their spare time who don't even work together so it may never be finished.

So I recommend you look at the very good CerberusX Vortex2 it uses Irrlicht loaders for models and converts all boned to vertex morphed but it has good shadered shadows. Then Wonkey with Mojo3d is also very good it can load animated models with Assimp, and has Bullet physics and terrain, and Ogre3D in Purebasic is supposed to be very nice now.

BlitzCoder commented:

Another difference is OpenB3D is right handed (OpenGL) vs Blitz3D (DirectX) left handed.. so note with the axis and rotations.

very good CerberusX Vortex2 it uses Irrlicht loaders for models and converts all boned to vertex morphed but it has good shadered shadows.

I would not really count it as very good (it was before), but a huge drawback with Vortex2 when it replaced it's problematic skeletal animation with vertex animation.

It's gone backwards and now Javi (the author) eventually stopped with the updates and the project.

also reminds me of Mark Silby's MaxB3D project with the skeletal animation system also not functioning and in shambles.. coincidence or deja vu?

The B3D model format is all you need today in my opinion, at least it is working perfectly in OpenB3D. Mark's Assimp wrapper also comes in handy.

BlitzCoder commented:

@LDMT

Please put a small letter L "l" before the ".jpg" in your imgur image. example: i.imgur.com/xF6V9oZl.png

so it does not show the full size image and clutter up the screen. If you need to present the full image, you can just create a full url link on the image.

Reply To Topic (minimum 10 characters)